December 21st, 2009 | posted by Rachel S | Posted in DIY Couture
I am a DIYer at heart but rarely have the time to start or complete projects. Fortunately, this time I was inspired and encouraged to come up with a fairly easy, yet super stylish accessory using easy to find items for a recent outfit.
DIY Shoulder Pads – Using dollar store items and leftover fabric – 2 Hours:
Faux fur | Chains & Ribbon (dollar store) | Pendants/Brooches (cheap jewellery store) | Glue | Thread
1. First I found some old shoulder pads and attached some faux mink to make them more substantial – realistically I could’ve used any old fabric.
2. I could have left the fur wild, but chose to glue it under.
3. To keep the fur from lifting around the edges, I attached some iron-able interfacing on the underside (glues everything together).
4. Then I attached some chains, embellishments, and voila! I attached them to my shirt with double-sided tape and safety pins.
* The best thing about this DIY is that you can use absolutely anything you have. You don’t even need shoulder pads but can start off by cutting fabric in the shape you want. You can attach any old jewels, ribbon, feathers… for a custom look *