Weekly Link: Just Sayin’ NO to ‘Fashion Week’
April 5th, 2010 | posted by Rachel S | Posted in Toronto Fashion Week , Weekly Link
photo: Pink Cobra (exclusive womens line of Carte Blanche & the other half of Cult de Laissez Faire – the new mens line at Carte Blanche)
Much Love and Kudos to the FDCC – Toronto’s Fashion Week Organizers, however,
The big news this fashion season in Toronto is that:
1. a handful of talented, functional Canadian fashion designers chose to show their fall collections off-site and before the scheduled Toronto’s LG Fashion Week (Philip Sparks, Greta Constantine, Evan Biddell, Nada, etc…).
2. Robin Kay and her slew of feisty volunteers at the FDCC, the small group that organizes LG Fashion Week, had many location issues, but eventually secured a new fashion week landing spot at the Allstream Centre – which naturally is criticized.
3. LG Fashion Week has become a fashion circus (which I think we sometimes like). It is not only held after the fashion buying season, but is increasingly becoming a platform for general public fashion junkies – which makes local media feeling unhappily squished and claustrophobic.
On this rainy Monday – a little pessimism:
1. Why We Didn’t Go To Toronto Fashion Week, Courduroy Magazine
2. Fold The Tents, Eye Magazine
3. Toronto’s Fashion Week Needs to Work It, Amy Verner, Huffington Post